- Directive 90/385/EEC regarding active implantable medical devices.
- Directive 93/42/EEC regarding medical devices
- Directive 98/79/EC regarding in vitro diagnostic medical devices
These directives give definitions of what is considered a medical device. Compliance with many aspects of these directives is achieved most easily by compliance with the relevant standards. For example the quality system requirement is met by compliance with;
- ISO 13485 Medical devices – Quality management systems – Requirements for regulatory purposes
- ISO 14971 Medical devices – Application of risk management to medical devices
- ISO 10993 Biological evaluation of medical devices